Monday, September 29, 2008

Hari Raya Aidil Fitri

Today would be the last day of Ramadhan, the last day of puasa for us muslims. Tomorrow would mark the first day of Syawal, the day we celebrate Hari Raya Aidil Fitri after a full month of fasting.

The joy of celebrating this festive day I have felt for many years. But as I grow older, the meaning of the day gradually changes. When I was a kid, the thought of getting duit raya and wearing new baju melayu painted the whole idea of Hari Raya. Not to mention the eve when all of the cousins would gather at my grandma's house to play bunga api!

Now, I have aged in such a way that this day would bring a whole different meaning. I just feel blessed to be able to celebrate the day with my family and friends. I'm thankful for the comfort of living that God has blessed us with. The serenity I feel every raya morning, the visit to my grandma's grave, the Aidil Fitri prayers, the beg for forgiveness, the visit to relatives' and friends' houses - my definition of joy during Hari Raya.

To all my fellow muslims who will be reading this, I wish you Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri and Maaf Zahir & Batin.

No comments: